Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fort Walton Beach, Florida to New Orleans, Luisiana

Marathon 7 hour ride today.

I took the scenic route (Highway 98) over to Pensacola. And I am glad I did. The Pensacola Bay Bridge is beautiful, it's a shame there was no place to pull over and get a picture. Then I rode on I-10 most of the way over. In Alabama, just a few minutes outside of Mississippi, I saw a rainstorm up ahead. I really liked the way you could see exactly where the rain began so I pulled over to take a picture.

S7300004

I am standing on dry ground looking at a rainstorm. Isn't that awesome?! I didn't see any lightning though so I was going to ride through it. As I'm putting my camera and phone in a ziplock bag, I notice the rainstorm is much closer. Just as I finish zipping the bag closed, the first drops hit me. This thing was moving FAST! By the time I saddled up, those first drops became a torrential downpour. It was raining incredibly fierce. In this heat, it was glorious. I was already pretty much soaked in the few seconds it took me to saddle up and start my bike again. It was raining so hard that traffic slowed to about 30 mph because you could only see about 400 feet in front of you. Sweet refreshment. I broke through to sunshine and the Mississippi border in about 5 minutes, cool and refreshed. Oh boy did I appreciate that rain. Of course, 40 minutes later I was completely dry save my feet and hands and starting to get hot again.

I kept on I-10 until Landon, Mississippi, where I cut down Highway 49 and got on scenic highway 90 heading west. I got on 90 in aptly named Long Beach, Mississippi. It was indeed a scenic route and a good choice. One thing I did see on 90, was an ocean that was barely moving, and miles and miles of beach...with absolutely nobody on it. Breaks my heart. Maybe I'll pick up a souvenir tarball while I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment