Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Out of the frying pan, into the pan-handle

So my friend in Jacksonville had a work emergency and ended up having to go in for double shifts every day for the next week. We decided it would just be easiest to catch up next time I swing by and I would continue on to my hosts in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.

I left Orlando around 4:30 in the evening and got to Fort Walton Beach at 1am. The ride was hot and uncomfortable and not a curve in the road to be seen. I got rained on for about 20 minutes but there was no lightning so I was glad to have it keeping me cool in the oppressive Florida heat. At around 9, after the sun went down it got comfortable but before that I was stopping every 50 miles to cool off and rehydrate.

Yesterday I spent on the beach. There are so few people out on the beach at 2:00 on a weekday. It was great. I love the beaches down here. Up north, you go to a beach on the hottest day of the hottest week of the year, step in the water, and it's still freezing. Down here, the ocean is warm and couldn't feel nicer.

Today I got up early, all set to head to New Orleans and avoid the highways. I pack up my stuff and bring the first pack out to my bike. My rear tire is flat. There is a brief moment of panic before I remember that I joined the AMA for the roadside assistance just before coming on this trip. I start to call around and I find Racetrack Powersports can repair a motorcycle tire so now I'm just waiting for the tow truck and hoping it's repairable.

Excitement abounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment