Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Contemplating water

Here I am 87 days into my trip (73 if you want to start counting after I went back home from Laconia for the 4 days) and I'm in Austin, Texas. I've gone less than half the distance I planned on and it's already September.

When I started this trip I figured it would be over by now. I thought "I'll be home by the end of October at the very latest."

The only thing I'm sure of now is that I have no idea how long I'm going to be on the road.

And I'm ok with that.

It would be nice to be back home for Halloween, but I refuse to rush. If I breeze through everywhere without seeing anything, without feeling the spirit of the place, than what would be the point of traveling at all?

The trip itself has a life of it's own and I have to let it carry me where it will, not fight against it nor try to impose my will on it and change it's course. It is an experience that must be appreciated for what it is, not forced into an arbitrary time frame. This trip, as all things should, must be shaped only by the present and not by expectation.

3 comments:

  1. but have you found sasquatch yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very awesome to meet you today sir. T'was a pleasure. Maybe Austin will make an impression enough to bring you to live here some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's certainly doing a pretty good job of it :)

    ReplyDelete