Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dallas.

Here I am in Dallas.

My first night here, my friends took me for some tacos from a gas station. I was mildly fearful. In my mind tacos from a gas station are preceded by relinquishing all your possessions and writing a very serious note to your family.

However, my friends assured me they were nothing to be afraid of.

We roll up to this gas station/car wash with a taco window. As you can tell by that line of cars, these particular gas station tacos are apparently good enough to line up for.

S7300005

We order 5 of each kind and it comes out to just over $30 for 25 tacos.

S7300008

Simply put, they were great tacos.

That, I guess, was my big adventure here in Dallas. I can't really think of too many more dangerous activities than eating tacos from a gas station.

I also went to Dealy Plaza; the place where J.F.K. was shot.

Am I crapping my pants outside of the infamous former book depository? I'm not saying.

S7300012

Here I am on one of two grassy knolls on either side of the plaza. Is it THE grassy knoll? probably not.

S7300021

THAT is THE grassy knoll. I think.

S7300022

Somewhere between where this picture is taken and that overpass, the man who put other men on the moon was shot.

S7300023

I went to Dealy Plaza out of some sort of feeling of obligation. I wasn't particularly fascinated with the place. I didn't feel any particular connection to it. This is a place where history happened.

Now, I know we don't have a lot of history compared to other countries, so I guess it's important for that reason alone, but maybe the true gravity of where I've been will dawn on me at a later date.

Meanwhile, I have been there so I can now reflect on it whenever I feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment