Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Improvization

Original plan was to circle around the country, stop off in Alaska, and get back to New York by the end of October. 5 months is all you need to drive around the country right?

Well sure. That's a pretty excessive amount of time if you're driving around just to get from coast to coast or if you have one major destination in mind. But for a trip that has several major destinations and at least one significant break down, you need a bit more time.

Here I am in Roswell, New Mexico and it's already been 4 and a half months.

I still have to get to Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington before Alaska; which is kind of the big turnaround point in this trip.





Alaska.




Alaska.



I have been looking toward Alaska as the ultimate destination since setting out on this trip. Alaska represents something to me. I'm not 100% sure what, but it stands out in my mind. Maybe because riding a motorcycle into Alaska is an impressive undertaking in and of itself, and it's a sense of accomplishment that I seek. Maybe I simply remember how stunningly beautiful Alaska is, and I want to experience that again with a better appreciation for it. Maybe I'm still sour over never being able to beat Oregon Trail on the Apple IIGS all those years ago and I need to put that game in it's place.

Anyway, Alaska is not an if. It's a when. And I think by the time I get to Northern California, as I intend to go, it will be in the dead of winter and I won't be able to get to Alaska.

So the new plan:
Spend the entire winter in California, earning as much money as I can, and head up to Alaska through Oregon, Washington, and B.C. in the spring. I'll probably be back to New York next September...but no promises.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome, and you should have plenty of opportunity for a sasquatch sighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero dude! An inspiration to us all and reminder that life requires living! Good luck and Godspeed!


    ************************************************
    The Dude: Interactive erotic software. The wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic!
    The Dude: Yeah well, I still jerk off manually.
    ************************************************

    ReplyDelete
  3. =) Thanks. These comments make my day...but couldn't you at least leave a name when you post? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When he moaned and sobbed, it was with the pain of living that was of old the pain of his wild fathers, and the fear and mystery of the cold and dark that was to them fear and mystery." Jack London, The Call of the Wild.

    Alaska can be to us as adults what the dark was to us as children. Have fun.

    I'm heading back to Nam for a couple weeks to see Lam; I'll give her your love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, that's perfect. Have fun out there!

    ReplyDelete