Thursday, July 8, 2010

Québec day 2: Electric Boogaloo

Wanting to see Québec again during the day, I am about to head out to the bus station when I log on to CouchSurfing and have a message from someone that basically says "Hey, I see you're in my city, let me know if you want someone to show you around." Always better to have a local guide, I meet Valerie in the Old City and there's also a Couch Surfer from France who's name I can't remember because I'm terrible like that. First we go for breakfast.

The local specialty of...Canada? Ontario/Quebec? Somewhere, is "Poutine". Heh heh, I know. But it's actually fries with gravy and cheese. And not the kind you can get at any diner, this stuff is much better. Better gravy, better cheese, I'll even say better fries. I had some in Montréal so I was told try the Québec specialty which is called "Galvaude". Galvaude is poutine with chicken and peas. It was the only poutine I've ever seen on any menu that was offered with or without cheese. Being first and foremost budget minded I figured I'd save a couple bucks and opted for no cheese. Apparently I did it wrong but it was still good.

S7300005

See how good it is?

Anyway, I got this awesome picture of Valerie looking like I kidnapped her

S7300004

"You look confused and frightened."
"Of course I do. I'm in a fast food restaurant with an American and a French guy."

Haha! Indeed.

Then we took a ferry to the South Shore where I got a great view of the citadel

S7300018

and went to a local brewery in the town of Lévis.

S7300020

We were waiting for night to fall when the city plays a moulin image, (probably the only thing I can actually pronounce in French) which is like a moving slideshow, onto the side of a huge building which you can watch from the south shore.

S7300042

The huge building or set of buildings across the river with the blue line across the top is what they projected the show onto. Valerie got a message from a friend in Montréal asking her to come to Montréal and that's where I was going the next day so I invited her along. I pick her up in the morning and we ride over to Montréal. I park it at my host's place and then wait for my host to get home. Valerie and her friend go off to do their own thing.

Later I met Valerie and her friend for dinner. Talking about where I'm going next I tell them I have a concert tomorrow and a 4th of July party in Ct. the next day and Valerie says she'd love to go to a 4th of July party in the U.S.A. So the next day we get back on the bike and ride down to Gloversville, NY. At the border, we were right next to a dude driving a T-Rex.

S7300048

I never really thought I'd see one of these in person. Bet it's a blast to drive.

Just an hour away from my concert venue in Herkimer. My host, Teddy, in Gloversville is a very cool dude. He took Valerie to fireworks down by the lake and I head off to my concert.

I went to see "Further". I'm a Dead Head. As a kid I didn't really like the Grateful Dead, but a few years ago I started really listening and that's when I started loving it. I never got to see the Grateful Dead while they were around but "Further" is Phil Lesh and Bob Weir of the GD, and then a few guys from various GD tribute bands. I had some really high hopes for this concert and I am happy to say that they were met. I had a hell of a time getting over there. I was running behind schedule all day and I ended up getting to the concert at 9:30, 2 hours late and I was worried I'd only get to see them play for an hour. I had nothing to worry about. They played straight through to midnight and then did a half hour encore. I got to hear some of my favorite tunes. Including "Terrapin Station".

S7300101

That's my favorite for it's beautifully poetic lyrics, stirring instrumentals, and, of course, turtles.

We then went to a 4th of July party over at my friend Andy's house with a bunch of dudes I went to school with and a few others. It went the way a 4th of July party usually goes I guess. It was a good time.

I then went home for a couple of days and Valerie secured transportation back to Québec. I then headed out in blistering heat to Ashburn, VA. Riding for 5 hours in 100 degrees really isn't pleasant. Night brought only the slightest bit of relief but even at 10:00pm it was still oppressively hot. Like riding through the fire pits of hell itself I say. Made the town name "Ashburn" seem all too appropriate.

Anyway, it's time to wait out this heatwave in the home of my good friends and former roommates Jay and Elaine.

Oh, and I got this photo outside my host's apartment when I went back to Montréal:

S7300047

2 comments: