Monday, July 12, 2010

Washington D.C. in the rain.

I spent 4 days with Jay and Elaine in their Ashburn home. Had a great, great time but video games and cartoons do not a good story make. I thought I was waiting out a heatwave but apparently temperatures in the 90's are par for the course. So I waited for some rain predictions to come and go and on sunday I bid farewell to my friends and most gracious hosts Jay and Elaine. Here we are with various video game characters:

S7300002

I look like I might be retarded. I should probably stop making that over excited face for photos.

Anyway, I headed over to the house of my high school friend Mike who lives in Washington D.C. We kicked it back with some cold ones (Crisp Apple Hornsby's in my case) and watched Tropic Thunder. Mike had work the next day so off he went at around 8am. I slept until noon and then walked around D.C.

S7300015

S7300032

S7300038

It was very hot (~88°) and lightly raining. Light enough that it was more of a relief than a burden but raining nonetheless. It was a lot of incentive to go into the museums. In one museum I got a picture of an Yves Klein exhibit. He did a lot of work in monochromes. An entire canvas as a study of one color.

S7300044

It makes me wonder if abstract art can ever be understood by anyone but the artist. Appreciated yes, but can the viewer feel the same as the artist when they feel the need to create? Methinks not. Then I have to wonder the same thing about any piece of art. Any work of art means something different to each viewer, no? Oh well, this isn't an essay on the merits or lack thereof of art critics.

Turns out photography isn't permitted but they didn't tell me that until after I clicked the button. Suckers!

I spent the day walking around the capitol hill area and in the Smithsonian area. I went in to a few museums but maybe I was too tired or something but I just couldn't find any of it particularly interesting. At 5:30 I met back up with Mike and we went to meet our other friend from high school Ben for dinner. Here we are at Fuddrucker's!

S7300046

I had an Elk burger! It was quite good. Good in a way that I'm sure it must be bad for me. Probably nutritionally the same as their regular burgers.

A new sport is storming the streets of D.C.
S7300041

No comments:

Post a Comment