Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rain, rain went away

So an hour and a half or so after I called it quits from getting soaked, the rain stopped. The sky even cleared. But I didn't really trust it so I didn't want to go out again until that free show downtown my host Benoit told me about. So I wait another hour and then my host asks if I want to eat here or in town somewhere. "Here is fine." "Alright we just need to go to the supermarket to pick up some stuff...bring your camera." "My camera? You think I'll need it?" "Oh yeah, definitely."

After a 15 minute drive, it turns out, I did.
S7300098

Rather than go to a supermarket, we went to Montmorency Falls. The tallest falls in Quebec, they are about 100 feet taller than Niagara. The surrounding area is beautiful
S7300042

and you can get great views of Quebec City and the surrounding area.

S7300058

We walked all around the area and I got a ton of pics so check the photostream.
They start from the car ride over (I had no idea where we were going or how long the sky would be clear for).

After walking all around Montmorency falls, and getting back in the car I said "That was the coolest supermarket I've ever been to." It was already 8:30 and the show was supposed to start at 9:30 so we didn't have time to go to the actual supermarket. Instead we went back, ate leftovers, and made our way downtown. I'm wondering what this is exactly because he almost made a point of just saying "show" and not calling it a concert. We walk out to this highway overpass where the underneath part is all fenced off. We walk around the fence to the entrance and I see a small yellow and blue spiral tent.

I recognize that trademark.

"Oh no way...THIS is a FREE show?"
"Yup."
"Totally free."
"Yup."
"Cirque du Soleil is putting on a free show in the middle of the city?"
"Oh you figured out what it is? Yeah, the city made some kind of a contract with the production company for free shows in the summer for 5 years."

This was this year's stage setting:
S7300121

It was almost like stumbling across a secret hobo circus.

Anyway, completely free show of crazy acrobatics right in the middle of downtown? AWESOME! Apparently it was some story about tree people that continued last year's show. I may not have gotten everything, but it was still a great show and overall an incredibly cool experience.

After the show, Benoît takes me on a walking tour all through the Old City.

S7300154

There's a wall that circles the old city
S7300156

and you can go up stairs and walk all around it for some incredible views.
S7300172

Québec is definitely a more charming city than Montréal. Especially the old city. But Montréal has the subway, and is mostly all flat. It seems like you're always walking uphill in Québec.

We then went for a beer at a local brewery (I know I'm not a beer drinker, but while I travel, I'll try anything local) and on the way back to the car, got a great picture of a lesson learned the hard way.

S7300220

I feel bad for whoever's bike this was but I couldn't help but laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment